Early diagnosis of keratoconus without special equipment is almost impossible. Therefore, in the early stages of keratoconus patients are diagnosed most often with "degenerative myopia with astigmatism."
But at "Oculus Prim" clinic, the diagnosis of keratoconus at an early stage is possible! It is based on the evaluation of form, curvature, thickness and refractive capabilities of different sections, in the front and back layer of the cornea. Modern devices, that offer the possibility of such examinations are called corneal topography. Modern Keratotopograms offer the possibility not only to provide a correct diagnosis at different stages of the disease, but also to strictly control the corneal modification process over the time. (in dynamic).
Vision correction in Keratoconus
In the early stages of the disease the minor disturbances in focusing are corrected with glasses and / or soft contact lenses. In case of a more pronounced keratokonus, the correction by glasses and soft contact lenses becomes ineffective and poorly tolerated by patients. At this stage of disease progression, appropriate correction can be obtained using hard contact lenses, produced individually for each patient. However, in the case of hard contact lenses it requires a long adjustment period and, usually, are poorly tolerated by patients.
The best way for vision correction in case of keratoconus are the tough scleral lenses - NormalEyes.
These lenses are designed to correct complex deformities of the cornea, where it is not possible to obtain a good result and a comfortable tolerability by using other lenses.
Indications and recommendations for scleral lens:
• Severe Astigmatism
• Condition after corneal transplant and radial incisions
• Expressed dry eye syndrome
• Post traumatic corneal scar
• Stevens-Johnson syndrome
• Consequences of chemical burns
• Scarring Pemphigoid
NormalEyes lenses are recommended for both, for very flattened cornea and for the irregular one, therefore the astigmatism practically is not limited (up to 20 and more diopters). The lens can be chosen to any configuration of the cornea, obtaining so, a maximum effect and a good eyesight.
The advantages of scleral lenses:
• High stability on the eyes;
• The lens does not cause traumatic action on the surface of the cornea;
• Does not cause oxygen shortage of cornea;
• Allows good circulation of the tear film;
• Offers the maximum possible eyesight;
• Is supported well and provide comfort;
• Term of Use - 1 year.
Action Principle of scleral lenses:
The lens acts on the scleral (lens diameter 15.5 mm). Between the outer surface of the cornea and lens is formed the "tear-film lens".
Tear-film lens has a protective effect as well as optical function:
• The lens doesn’t touch the surface of the cornea and doesn’t traumatize it (what is important in corneal dystrophies and post inflammatory disorders!)
• The tear layer excludes corneal surface deformed by refraction, which allows us to get a better eyesight.
In Moldova, only at the medical center "Oculus Prim", NormalEyes tough scleral lenses produced by renowned American company Paragon can be purchased. Scleral lenses are individually chosen according to the algorithm and doctor’ recomendations.
Excimer laser correction is contraindicated in keratoconus!